In the last eight years I’ve invested over 1568 hours (and counting) studying bird language skills.
I use this amazing ability to track down everything from owls & foxes to cougars & human beings.
The study of this primitive skill has honestly changed my life.
Here are 19 ways that bird language will change your life too.
- The Curiosity Activator – Bird language activates curiosity for nature. It activates curiosity for all of life. This is because you learn a way of engaging with the world through questioning & observation.
- Being Tuned In – Learning the language of birds requires a deep level of presence. You learn to listen for soft & subtle sounds. Peripheral vision becomes honed & sharp. This tuning in doesn’t just take place out in nature. In fact, it takes place inside your brain!
- Discovering Your Success Mindset – Learning a skill like bird language requires patience, persistence & focus. If you follow through & get the skill then you will learn key success principles for all areas of life.
- Personal Growth – Sitting silently in nature will help you know yourself on a deeper level. Observing nature provides much needed reflection time for modern humans. You may find your life taking on a new & more fulfilling pathway as you learn from the birds.
- Deep Nature Connection – Birds are a powerful doorway to nature. They teach you about the trees, plants, mammals, weather, and seasons. Reading the language of nature requires a holistic understanding of all aspects of ecology… It pulls you deep into the world of mother nature
- Emotional intelligence – Emotions are subtle just like birds. To learn bird language you have to be aware of how the birds are feeling. This teaches empathy. It teaches you to better know what’s happening in the mind of those around you.
- Social Intelligence – Just as there is etiquette for social settings, birds also have social standards. All birds have a comfort zone. They have different ways of responding to eye contact. You become more tuned into the messages people are sending by watching how birds send messages.
- The Power of Listening – Listening to birds really teaches how to listen. The ability to quiet your mind & perceive without judgment is a common trait for all people who practice listening to nature. Becoming a better listener will change your life.
- Tracking The Human Landscape – Bird language is just like non-verbal human communication. The same skills that enable you to track a bird alarm across the savanna also apply to your fellow humans. Your tracker’s mind will awaken and tune you into what’s happening with the people.
Bird Language Creates Better Mentors
- Questions for Every Moment – When you know the language of birds you will never lack a good question to stretch the mind of your students. Your questions will draw people to look closer & pay attention in new ways. Your very presence will cause people to perk up.
- Automatic Mentoring – Paying attention to birds is a skill that inherently produces awareness. Bird language experiences will draw those around you into that awareness. It’ll seem like all you’re doing is talking about birds, but actually there are deeper things happening below the surface.
- The Map of Nature – The language of birds is a holistic tracking skill. This means that to learn bird language you can’t be too focused-locked on any one aspect of nature. It pushes you to deeply know all aspects of nature, which is essential if you’re going to be sharing nature with others.
- The Quiet Mind – Listening to all the quiet birds will teach you to silence your own mind. A quiet mind is a mind at peace. It’s a mind that’s capable of making the split second life or death decisions that birds have to make every day. You can apply it in your own human ways.
- The Gift of Sensitivity – Being sensitive to the birds is not just a tracking skill. If you’re going to do anything with people then you need to be tuned in to what they are experiencing. Being sensitive to the needs of those around you will enable you to better serve & create the life you want.
The Quickest Path To Deep Nature Connection
- Touching The Secret World of Wildlife – Imagine being able to know from 100 yards away that there’s an owl or a cat nearby? Close encounters with wild animals become commonplace as you study the patterns of bird alarm at your local study area.
- Part of Nature’s Unfolding Mystery – As you begin to have encounters with wildlife you also realize that you are having an effect on nature. You begin to see yourself as part of the ongoing story. The animals get to know you as either their friend or foe.
- Profound Love For Nature – Connecting with birds will cause you to fall in love with nature. You will experience moments of beauty that shift your entire attitude towards life & the natural world. This is a gift that all people deserve.
- Being a Caretaker – Positive ethics emerge from being connected to nature. The birds will show you how to care for a landscape & make it more abundant. This has the potential to bring a whole lotta joy.
- Bringing Nature To Your Doorstep – Bird language doesn’t rely on any particular landscape such as sand, or being in a national park. It works even in the middle of the city. Since the birds are connected to everything in nature, bird language is one of the easiest skills to practice anytime, anywhere
Is That Everything?
These are just some of the observations I’ve made about people who practice bird language… there is a lot more to say than can be shared here.
Of course, the only way to really “get it” is to learn bird language for yourself. That’s why I always share it directly with my one-on-one mentoring participants.
Hint: Here’s a brand new bird language book written by a nature therapist from the UK. If you’re a nature educator/mentor or you just want to learn bird language for yourself it’s a great resource.
Leave a Reply